Audit Arizona Action


Monday, February 20, 2006

LOBBYING YOUR LEGISLATOR: Preventing a brush off

LOBBYING YOUR LEGISLATOR: Preventing a brush off

1. "I don't have time for this right now."

You must be very busy but we would like an indication of where you stand. We will contact you later to set up a time for a more in depth discussion of this.

2. "I need more information."

I would be glad to get it for you. What in particular would you like to know more about? Here is our fact sheet/research report on the matter.

3. The non-commitment ploy, such as "Let me think about it."

*Great! I will call back on ______. I would be glad to answer any questions you have now or then.

*Of course. As you know the ____ and ____ have also endorsed this bill along with ____ and _____. It's important to all of us because ______.

4. The change the subject ploy, such as "I was thinking the other day about how the environment affects health care."

"Yes. That is important to us to. But I'm most concerned about passing the bill to establish an Office of the National Nurse. It is important for all of us to receive accurate information on ways to live healthy and prevent illness which will cost our lives and our economic future."

5. The who else likes this ploy, such as "Well who else have you gotten to support this?"

"Current supporters include ______. But I am a voter in your district. We have lots of voters in your district and we really want your support on this issue. We know we can't always get what we want, but we believe your support will help constituents in your district.

6. The labeling ploy, "This is part of the liberal agenda."

I am sorry that we can't talk about this issue as it pertains to helping your constituents. Let me remind you that supporting our position will aid ____ in your district.

7. The talk to my staff ploy.

I'd be happy to. Who exactly should I talk to and how can I reach them?


SOME HINTS

- Always try to get a clear commitment or stand. If need be say, "I am unclear as to your position. Are you supporting this legislation or not?"

- Always be conscious of time constraints. If you have two minutes, go immediately to getting a commitment. If you have 30 minutes, fully explain the issue.

- Take notes and write a thank you letter.

Posted by Protect Democracy :: 11:18 PM ::
---------------oOo---------------